Wednesday, June 19, 2013

2013 Season Overview

Alright, since this is going to primarily be a blog about triathlon, I'll get it started with what this season looks like.

It's late June already and 2013 has been a pretty unremarkable year so far for racing.  I raced Du the Polar Bear, a local duathlon, in February, for which I finished 2nd Age Group (AG) and 9th Overall (OA).  Okay finish, but not an improvement on previous years.  My first triathlon of the year was the Tejas Triathlon, a local sprint triathlon that was done under heavy weather conditions.  My 4th AG finish was pretty poor, and I'll post my race report from that one later.  Finally, I finished 5th OA at a 15k trail race (Gator Bait) just last weekend.

So disappointment so far, but there's still a lot of racing to go!  This year has been marked by a new job, new routine and continuing challenges with being a dad, so I'm still optimistic that the best is yet to come.  My race calendar for the rest of the year looks something like this:

14 July:  Shadow Creek Sprint Triathlon
4 August: Bridgeland Sprint Triathlon
24 August: Clearlake Olympic Triathlon
2 September: Houston Olympic Triathlon
30 September: Du the Bear Duathlon
21 October: Austin 70.3
1 December: IM Cozumel

Obviously, the headliner is Cozumel.  I'll post a separate post on my expectations and plans for the race, but it's a recent addition and it's gotten me really motivated about my training.  My wife, Analise, is racing it as well, and since she's the one who first got me into this sport anyway, having her train always helps me keep a positive outlook as well.  I never train as well when she isn't.

There are about six months until the Ironman.  That's a lot of training and racing between now and then.  I'll share the journey, the challenges, the low moments and the highlights along the way.  The end result should be a fun race, a solid result and great vacation out of it all.  In the big picture, this is an escape from the drudgery of corporate life, so it HAS to be fun. If it's not, then it's all a waste of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment